Webinar by Johny Mariethoz & Miguel Moreira, RERO, 24.2.2011
Generic browser and visualiser for digital objects
Multivio is a Swiss open-source solution for displaying digital documents available in the web directly in the web browser. It is a flexible, convenient and powerful web application that puts the user in direct contact with the content that is made available on document servers.
Multivio is designed as a freestanding module, which can be incorporated in different environments. When linked to document servers, the application serves as an interface for displaying their content. Its structure is modular and extensible and can be adapted to meet the needs of all data sources.
Advantages of Multivio
a) from the user’s point of view:
- Quick and easy access to content, with partial transfer of data, on demand
- Easy navigation through the document structure and ability to do full-text search
- Natural integration in the user environment: no installation of special tools required
- Usable via web browser on PC, mobile phone, tablets, etc.
b) from the point of view of the data supplier or the source of the digital content:
- Native support for digital objects comprising various different files (periodicals, image collections, multi-volume books, etc.)
- Supports different types of content: PDF, images, audio, video and even combinations of these formats within one document.
The project is managed by RERO, the Library Network of Western Switzerland, and co-financed by e-lib.ch, the Swiss Electronic Library.